AT&T chooses Synacor over Yahoo for internet hosting companies
1. AT&T might have seen the writing on the wall. With Verizon Communications rising as the corporate most certainly to purchase Yahoo, AT&T has determined to shift enterprise away from the Internet search engine. AT&T will take its cell and internet portal internet hosting enterprise to Synacor in what could possibly be the most important deal ever for the white-label portal supplier. Yahoo will proceed to host e-mail for AT&T’s Internet clients.
Synacor’s share value rose greater than 100% on information of the deal, which one analyst stated could possibly be price as much as $100 million per yr for the New York firm. Synacor’s different clients embrace CenturyLink, Windstream and Verizon.
2. Netflix is including video optimization to its iOS and Andriod apps. The video streaming service stated it needs to present individuals extra management of how a lot knowledge they use on mobile networks. The firm stated the default setting in its new iOS and Android apps will allow a consumer to stream about three hours of video per gigabyte of knowledge, which presently equals about 600 kilobits per second.
“Our testing discovered that, on mobile networks, this setting balances good video high quality with decrease knowledge utilization to assist keep away from exceeding knowledge caps and incurring overage charges,” the corporate stated in a weblog submit. Users can alter the default setting if they need the next bitrate. The transfer places viewers in management of video optimization on cell gadgets, which may take a few of the heat off Netflix.
3. T-Mobile US is said to be getting ready for another “un-carrier” event. This one is anticipated to contain advertising partnerships with different corporations, together with Domino’s Pizza and Wendy’s. Those corporations are anticipated to supply free meals to T-Mobile US clients who wish to binge on whereas they Binge On.
4. Apple added software program large SAP to its secure of enterprise companions. The iPhone maker’s take care of the German firm follows partnerships with IBM and Cisco, each introduced inside the previous two years.
SAP plans to create iOS apps focusing on particular vertical markets, together with well being care and retail. In addition, Apple and SAP plan to launch a software program improvement equipment by the top of this yr. SAP has been aggressively targeting the industrial “Internet of Things” house, so the partnership provides Apple a brand new avenue into these markets.
5. Driverless taxis are coming to the U.S., according The Wall Street Journal. General Motors is anticipated to launch the service with Lyft, the Uber competitor that secured a $500 million funding from the automaker late final yr. GM is additionally planning to purchase driverless expertise startup Cruise Automation, and is anticipated to make use of the Cruise expertise in Chevrolet Bolt electrical taxis. GM has not shared particulars about which metropolis or cities it’s going to select to check the service.
Follow me on Twitter.